Discipleship Resources For New Christians
After planning and implementing the strategy for discipleship (previous article), resources are needed to guide the new believer.
Here are a few suggestions:
1) Beginning Steps: A Guide for New Believers. 7 sections. (North American Mission Board)
2) Survival Kit. Designed for 5 weeks with assignments for 5 days during each week. Also includes a small group discussion guide and memory verses. (Lifeway Christian Resources)
3) Growing Disciples Series. 7 book series essentially covering the basics such as reading the Bible, prayer, witnessing, ministering, fellowshipping and abiding. The “Call to Follow Christ” is the first book in the series which gives an overview of all 6 books. You can go in any order after finishing the “Call to Follow Christ.” (Lifeway Christian Resources).
Click on the links in the parentheses to get more information or to order the resources.
I welcome your feedback and welcome suggestions on other resources for new believers. Please email Clyde HERE.
Discipleship blind spots (taken from Facts & Trends, Summer 2014)
Nine out of 10 pastors say their congregations are making spiritual progress. However, only 43% of pastors are regularly evaluate the discipleship process at their churches. Of those who do evaluate, only half survey the people in their congregations about how they are doing in discipleship.
When the congregation tells a pastor about their lives as disciples, the pastor gains helpful insights on how to address spiritual needs. Assessing the needs of the congregation is essential to developing a strategy for spiritual growth. Learn more at tda.lifeway.com.
Discipleship consultations for individual churches: 1-3 hour sessions
- Basics for Discipleship Directors
- Definition of Discipleship
- Developing Discipleship Process
- Strategy for Discipleship
- Discipleship – Information vs. Transformation
- Choosing the Right Curriculum (Lifeway Christian Resources)
- Ordering Discipleship Curriculum (Lifeway)
- Overview of Lifeway’s Discipleship Curriculum (preschool to senior adult)
- Identifying Stages of Discipleship
- Moving People Through the Various Stages of Discipleship
- Guidelines for Discipleship Groups
- Setting Goals and Action Plans
- Discipleship Trends
- Discipleship Online Videos
- Discipleship Training Opportunities
- Developing Leaders Through Discipleship
Call Clyde to set up an individual, small group, or church consultation. Cost may be involved.