Only God can save a soul and each person must decide individually if he or she will believe in Jesus and accept the free gift of salvation. Prayer is an important part of the process. Here are a few suggested ways to pray.
- Claim the person you are praying for as God’s purchased possession in the name of Jesus and on the basis of His shed blood. “ln Him we have redemption through His blood” (Eph. I:7, NASB).
- Ask God to tear down the works of Satan, like false doctrine, unbelief, or other teaching that the enemy may have built up in a person’s life. Pray for his thoughts to be taken “captive to the obedience of Christ” (2 Cor,10:5, NASB).
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will convict him of his sin and his need for a Savior. “The kindness of God leads you to repentance” (Rom. 2:4, NASB).
- Pray that the person will hear, receive, or read God’s Word and that God’s will and purposes may be accomplished through Scripture. “So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire” (Isa. 55:lI, NASB).
- Pray that the person’s eyes will be opened and ears unstopped so that the truth is heard. “And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ” (2 Cor. 4′.3-4, NASB).
- Pray with consistency and perseverance, not to persuade God but because of the resistance of the enemy. Read Daniel l0:12-13. “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord” (l Cor. 15:58, NASB).
- Thank God for making us more than conquerors. “But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us” (Rom. 8:37, NASB). “Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (l Cor. 15:57 , NASB).
The HEART acrostic is taken from Praying Your Friends to Christ.
- The key is for the lost person’s heart to be changed by the saving power of Christ. The acrostic HEART will help one remember what to pray.
- Pray for receptive HEARTS (see Luke 8:5,12).
- Pray for their spiritual EYES to be open (see Matt. 13:15; 2 Cor.4:3-4).
- Pray for God’s ATTITUDE toward sin (see John 16:8).
- Pray the person to be RELEASED to believe (see 2 Cor.10:3-4; 2 Tim. 2:25-26).
- Pray for a TRANSFORMING life (see Rom. 12:l-2).
Scripture quotations marked NASB are taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE @, Copyright @ 1960, 1962,1963,1968, 1971, 1972,1973,1975, 1977 , 1995 by The Locknan Foundation. Used by permission